- RSS Channel Showcase 8262920
- RSS Channel Showcase 6361500
- RSS Channel Showcase 3461567
- RSS Channel Showcase 6765143
Articles on this Page
- 07/08/10--10:09: _Barefoot Bandit or ...
- 07/09/10--09:55: _Stunt of the Week
- 08/16/10--14:59: _Tony Blair’s Cunnin...
- 09/17/10--02:26: _Lady Gaga: Offal or...
- 11/09/10--11:24: _50 Years of Psycho ...
- 11/16/10--07:36: _Royal wedding? Scr...
- 02/11/11--17:42: _Vegan Football
- 02/18/11--08:31: _Rebel Radiohead and...
- 09/16/11--05:12: _The Saatchi & Saatc...
- 09/27/11--09:21: _Arch West: The Fina...
- 10/21/11--07:40: _Stripping For Votes...
- 11/18/11--05:32: _Joey Skaggs, Giant ...
- 12/01/11--07:52: _Jay Bernstein: Stil...
- 01/27/12--03:35: _The Bayern Munich T...
- 04/16/12--00:21: _What did Trenton Ol...
- 04/18/12--07:10: _Tupac Rises and For...
- 04/23/12--01:41: _Pippa- Maybe down b...
- 05/11/17--07:11: _Corbyn’s Labour man...
- 07/08/10--10:09: Barefoot Bandit or Barefaced Stunt?
- 07/09/10--09:55: Stunt of the Week
- 08/16/10--14:59: Tony Blair’s Cunning Stunt
- 09/17/10--02:26: Lady Gaga: Offal or Wonderful?
- 11/09/10--11:24: 50 Years of Psycho Stuntsmanship
- 11/16/10--07:36: Royal wedding? Screw the recession, there’s dosh to be made…
- 02/11/11--17:42: Vegan Football
- 02/18/11--08:31: Rebel Radiohead and the Brits
- 09/27/11--09:21: Arch West: The Final Chip off a Very Old Block?
- 10/21/11--07:40: Stripping For Votes Could Work, Just Nobody Tell Theresa May
- 11/18/11--05:32: Joey Skaggs, Giant Bras and the Origins of Creativity
- 12/01/11--07:52: Jay Bernstein: Still Stunting from Beyond the Grave
- 01/27/12--03:35: The Bayern Munich Transfer Stunt: When Clever Becomes Smartarse
- 04/16/12--00:21: What did Trenton Oldfield Mean for Stuntsters?
- 04/23/12--01:41: Pippa- Maybe down but Not Out
- 05/11/17--07:11: Corbyn’s Labour manifesto: when is a leak not a leak? (The Drum)
The tale of the Barefoot Bandit in today’s Times (currently locked behind a paywall, otherwise I would of course have encouraged you to click here) is, on the surface, a ripping yarn, a boy’s own adventure. A seventeen-year-old escapes juvenile detention and goes on the run across America for two years: stealing cars and yachts […]
It’s been a good week for stunts – the Barefoot Bandit’s a classy effort, but a little over-complicated. More gloriously simple is Island’s approach to promoting Tom Jones’s new album of hymns, Praise and Blame. Leaving the praise to the critics, who see it as an equivalent to Johnny Cash’s late bid for credibility, Island’s […]
If any politician was going to pull off the greatest stunt of a generation, it really had to be Tony Blair. And, by committing all the proceeds from his memoirs (as well as the £4 million advance) to the Royal British Legion’s Battle Back challenge centre, a project that will provide state-of-the-art rehabilitation services for […]
The more I think about Lady Gaga’s meaty costume worn at her appearance at the MTV Awards, the less sure I am about the intentions behind it. Is it 1) a controlled and thoughtful satire in meat couture about the plight of women in the pop industry, who are oiled up, lubed up, dressed in […]
As the nights draw in faster and faster, it’s worth remembering that, 50 years ago, Alfred Hitchcock dreamed up two things that have defined the horror film industry ever since. The first was the film Psycho. The second was a publicity stunt for the film that was so successful that it has come back time […]
And so the day has come! Prince William is to marry Kate Middleton. Be of good cheer, Britain, there’s new blood being drafted into the old firm! It really is fabulous news, in such tough economic times, that the cuts will not affect everything. In 2011 there will be something for the whole nation to […]
Football’s back in the news, but this time it’s not about vast sums being splurged on footballers in the transfer market, it’s a stunt that raises awareness about the quality of food at your average sports match. My local team, Forest Green, have a new chairman, CEO of Ecotricity Dale Vince. Vince is vegan – […]
Radiohead are back with a new album, The King of Limbs, and a development of the original stunt for their last album, In Rainbows, which was for sale on a ‘pay what you can afford’ basis. Excitement has been amping up and up since the band announced the early digital download release of the album […]
For those who’ve not heard, a Saatchi & Saatchi campaign for client Toyota has led to a $10m suit being filed against the ad firm and the car company, as well as various individuals connected with the campaign. The campaign, which allowed people to sign up their friends to be ‘pranked’ with a serious of […]
It’s a great story for anyone who’s obsessed by the showmanship of selling: Arch West, the great Frito-Lay marketing exec and inventor of Doritos, has been covered with his beloved chips in his final resting place. West came from a long line of great retail mavericks who had the fire and the guts to tap […]
The video of Polish politician Katarzyna Lenart stripping for votes has generated the kind of online buzz that other party political broadcasts (and I use the term in its loosest sense) could only dream of. Shot on what appears to be a pretty low grade camera and featuring a swivel chair that wouldn’t look out […]
I’ve recently been running around on a kind of UK Tour, delivering a new presentation in Gateshead, Brighton and various locations in London for a range of industry events in between the rigours of my day-to-day duties. One advantage of the thinking that goes in to this kind of offering is that along with the […]
The unmatchable Hollywood publicist, agent and stuntmaker Jay Bernstein has shown us all once again how a true publicity superstar does things with a fitting final stunt. The sadly deceased genius has defied having his inimitable profile smothered even by death himself, and has managed to release his book onto an unsuspecting public from beyond […]
Yesterday’s failed Bayern Munich stunt was an ideal example of what happens when creative energy fails to connect with the reality of the media narrative. For those who didn’t hear, the German football team wrangled a piece of PR trickery which fuelled an horrific backlash. An announcement on their website that “a spectacular name” was […]
Back at the start of last week, wherever you turned in mediaworld you found someone sticking their oar in (sorry) to the discussion on wayward idealist Australian Trenton Oldfield and his Pankhurst-esque self-sacrificial boat race stunt. I shan’t bother now to throw in my two cents about the morality of Oldfield’s actions, but I do […]
It looks like Tupac Shakur’s back on top for the foreseeable future- it was announced today that his frankly rather terrifying hologram will be going on tour following its first outing at Coachella festival. More than anything else, this is proof of the remarkable power of a great stunt- and is a blow for the […]
A deep collective breath is perhaps needed. Pippa Middleton’s identification with firearms last weel, thanks to the somewhat incautious actions of friend Romain Rabillard, has led many to predict that her fledging career in the public eye is already over. Like her sister, runs the thinking, Middleton’s image relies on propriety- all 3 Middleton siblings […]
Jeremy Corbyn has always insisted that Labour policy be decided by consultation and debate. With the leaking of a draft of the party’s manifesto, Labour has launched its most ambitious act of policy crowdsourcing. As a pundit pointed out, leaking the manifesto is probably the surest way of getting the media to seriously read it. […]